Ref:
Date:
Location:
Photographer:
Board Meetings

Board Meeting Oct 2014

Minutes of Meeting of the Board of Directors
9th October 2014

Present: Stewart Hill, Brendan O’Hanrahan, Helen Steven, Nigel Goldie, Jeanette McCarthy, Andy Summers.
Attending: Ken Hamilton, Adam Pellant.
Meeting began 5pm.
1. No apologies, all present.
2. Minutes of last meeting: Proposed Brendan, seconded Nigel. Approved.
3. Matters Arising:
Ted’s Tree – Helen organising. Notice in Assynt News. Andy to source treeguard.
Ledbeg House – Actions: Adam to send holding letters with update on EGM and funders’ permissions. Jeanette to check out Deed of Restriction required.
Robertson Trust application – Job descriptions completed.
HIE – The directors noted with regret that a letter had been received from HIE in which they refused to support continued work on the Financial Project. Resolved that no further action be taken with HIE except for the conclusion of the current Financial Project and that alternative mechanisms be sought to achieve the goals of the second phase of the Financial Project.
Croft Creation Proposal – Action rolled over: Brendan to send holding letter.
Business Venture Proposal – Discussion is progressing through Nigel.
Finance Report – Ken presented report. Ken will speak to auditor about choice of full audit vs. financial examination. Agreed to go with Ken’s judgement on this.
Agreed Tim to be retained an extra month until annual accounts signed of by auditor/examiner.
Action: Jeanette to organise changing of standing orders with RBS.
Agreed to allow Ken full visibility of accounts online without ability to make payments, if possible.
No objections to use of cloudbased Xero accounts package with support package instead of Sage 50. Agreed.
Thanks noted to Ken for work over recent months.
Robertson Trust: Application is being made for grant towards salary funding, with decision in November.
Community support – The Foundation frequently receives requests for support from local community groups (eg. raffle prizes). Some form of policy guidance is required to enable staff to handle these requests. Resolved that support in kind be limited to a value of £100 per year per group and that this must be in kind rather than in cash . Actions Sheets – Actions sheets from A9 report and Away Day are to be combined. Agreed for various actions to be taken off list, as per Stewart’s suggestions, for reasons such as having been completed or no longer being applicable.
New directors – Some suggestions of possibilities. Action: Adam to check if it is acceptable practice to co-opt Helen after her retirement at the AGM having served two whole terms and not being eligible for re-election.
CALL – Steering group meeting held earlier today. Need to get AF projects all costed and summarised by deadline. CALL are aiming for May Stage 2 application submission. Need to finish Forest Plan ASAP, for receipt of SRDP grant and for progress of woodland projects.
Crofting – Crofting post added to CALL projects list, which may be helpful in croft creation at Ledbeg.
Land Use around Glencanisp Policies – Action: Nigel, Stewart and Brendan to make initial plans for this area. Brendan to purchase map tiles.
Gardener’s Cottage – Will be vacated after October. (Brendan declared an interest, as current landlord of a staff member.) Agreed to give staff members first refusal if interested in renting it, otherwise would be open to other community members. Walled garden will also be vacated. Action: Jeanette to draft Assynt News notice on availability of Walled Garden.
EGM – Will be 7pm at Assynt Centre on 6th November. Will send further email notice nearer the time with wider agenda including new directors, CALL and 10th Anniversary of buy-out.
Action: Adam check majority needed for resolution to sell Ledbeg House.
AOCB:
Brendan reported that Crofting Connections event at lodge went very well.
Road Condition – may be able to get some road repairs as payment in kind for materials.
Next meeting – Thursday 13th November.
Meeting finished 7.30pm.