Ref:
Date:
Location:
Photographer:
Board Meetings

Board Meeting 12 June 2008

Assynt Foundation Board Meeting held on Thursday 12th June 2008 at Glencanisp

Present: Patricia Robertson, Tony Usher, Colin MacDonald, Stephen Smith, Fergus Stewart, Don Campbell

In attendance: Adam Pellant, Mark Lazzeri

Apologies: Claire Belshaw, Robbie Mackenzie

Minutes of May meeting; Proposed Patricia, seconded Fergus

Matters arising:
1. Trials Bikes-nothing heard from club.
2. Walled Garden-£6000 approved for payment. Should be with us on next NHS Highland “pay-run”. Sub-group will meet asap.
3. Director's info to Douglas Graham-Stephen and Colin done. Fergus to do.
4. Notice Boards-still imminent.
5. Prospective trainee stalker is a “Skill Seeker” and not a NC student and so must be paid as a trainee i.e. an employee. £80 per week plus employer contributions. After debate it was unanimously agreed we were not in a position to afford this at present but could re-visit again if circumstances changed.

Redevelopment Project:

There is a shortfall of £285711.
Match funding needs urgent finalising and it was agreed to call a meeting of all directors at 6pm on Wednesday 18th June to make final decisions on the Lodge redevelopment. Tony will provide income projections.

Development Manager's report:

A report was given on our involvement with “Work With Us” which is supposed to attract credit-card donations via a web-site. Annual cost is £87-income so far about £400. General feeling that it was not worth the trouble and that alternatives should be investigated. Stephen proposed using PayPal-the growing tool for web payments and with the advantage of no up-front fees. Agreed.

Horse-box-this is rarely used and the original reason for its purchase is no longer. Although some local people have made use of it the money its sale would realise could be spent on more essential items. Agreed to advertise locally in the first instance to give locals a chance to match an offer already in place from outwith the area.

Development Trust Scotland Conference- Mark is attending and, thanks to a bursary, at minimal cost. He will report back to directors.

Deer Commission Scotland visit went very well with lots of complimentary noises. Thanks to Mark, Stephen, Claire and Robbie.

Mountain Bothy Association are investigating either a partnership with AF which would result in the Tubeg bothy being renovated and AF having the larger area as a locked and secure facility of our own with MBA having the smaller room as a bothy to run and manage; or, that MBA would be the lead organisation in raising funds for AF to renovate and run Tubeg as a ”closed bothy” in the way that some Border bothies are operated. A particular point of interest is that MBA do not have contracts or agreements preferring that both parties have the ability to walk away at any point.

Kayaks-There was considerable debate about the wisdom or otherwise of renting out kayaks to the general public and where the foundation would stand in the matter of public liability. Tony requested that our insurers be contacted and their advice sought. Mark to action.

Finance- The mantra as always-KEEP THE SPENDING DOWN. There was also a discussion about fuel costs and their management.

AOCB

Peter Kohn has thanked AF for the support given to the triathlon. Next year it is hoped to run 2-a local fun triathlon as last year and a repeat of this years serious event.

There was a short discussion about Project Scotland and where things are up to-progressing slowly-and whether there was a chance of AF being involved in work-experience with senior pupils at Ullapool High School. Colin will investigate and report back.